Monday, May 11, 2009

NEON LOVERS GLOW IN THE DARK




Lili Lakich is an amazing neon artist that I discovered haphazardly. Her book title was all like "Anda, call me sometimes cause I'm AWESOME" and I was like "Yeah you are!". NEON LOVERS GLOW IN THE DARK found its way into my hands solely because I was hoping it was a cross between Neuromancer and Anais Nin erotica. To my surprise the book was actually a volume of her work (boo, no erotica for me) and she is in my opinion an artist with sizeable contributions to the 80's art scene. She is randomly mentioned, perhaps a victim of her time and the aesthetic that it bred but I like to bring her into peoples lives from time to time. Her work really speaks to the 80's so it can sometimes seem dated but most pieces are timeless and exhibit a huge amount of strength and feminine sensibility. The piece above is my favourite and would love to have it in my living room one day. I want to nap underneath the neon hum and dream all neon and whatnot.

No comments:

Post a Comment